The Mayan Jaguar lettuce lends itself to salads with strong, sharp flavors. Add some chicken (or more cheese, if you’re a vegetarian) and you’ve got a main dish salad. Note, this will serve 6 as a side dish
What You’ll Need
- knife and chopping board
- immersion blender, aka hand or stick blender
- measuring cup and spoons
- large bowl
- salad tongs
Ingredients for the Salad
- 1 head Mayan Jaguar lettuce (or other romaine)
- ¼ cup blue cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
Ingredients for the Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2/3-3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp walnut or regular Dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
How to Make the Vinaigrette
- Pour the vinegar into a bowl or tall container and add the salt. Whisk until the salt is dissolved
- Add the mustard, shallot, oil, and pepper. Using your immersion blender, blend the ingredients until emulsified and well mixed.
- Taste and add salt or pepper as necessary. The vinaigrette will keep, refrigerated, for a week.
How to Make the Salad
- Add the salad ingredients to a bowl.
- Toss with the about 1/3-1/2 of the vinaigrette. Add a little more if you like it more fully dressed.
- Serve immediately.